December 06, 2009

The Silk Road


I wanted to add some strength to a few areas which have been repaired. My buddy Todd recommended using a piece of banjo head--skin--for top cracks. I am vascillating on whether or not I even need to cleat them at all, since they closed up so nicely. But, a few of the more major side cracks and bashes do need reinforcement, so I'm choosing to use some stuff my wife--an expert in all things fiber--guarantees is perfect for the job. It's silk organza. Traditionally guitar makers did, and still do, use fabric on the sides for reinforcement, but I believe they usually use linen. This organza she gave me is so strong and light, that when it's glued on the wood it becomes a mesh patch that just isn't going anywhere. Here's a glimpse or two:


The pic on the left the patch itself glued in place. On the right is a swatch of the organza, with the patch in the background. It seems like great material--tough and light. In addition, the color she gave me blends into the wood very nicely. I put a small bit of it over a repaired side crack near the heel block, and almost couldn't even find it afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.