November 30, 2009

More Strippage

On Sunday, the 29th, I spent a lot of time stripping the top. I'd put a coat of stripper on, close the thing in the new basement bathroom--which has an exhaust fan--and set the timer for fifteen minutes or so. By the end of the day I had most of the top stripped.  The "sunburst" finish meant that the paint at the edge of the instrument was thicker, and took several more coats to get down to the wood.



I did try to send another picture of the top in  mid-strip, but I must have mis-addressed it. (I'm using my wife's iphone now.) Anyway, the top is now pretty much stripped, though it is somewhat blotchy looking. There is a fair amount of general clean-up to be done as well--the binding is messy looking, the line around the bridge needs cleaning, and there are still quite a number of spots on the top which need to be attended to.

On the positive side though, I think it'll look pretty cool once it's got a coat of some kind of finish on it. This guitar will be all about funky, but I think it will wear its repairs well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.