August 10, 2009

Back to Work

Other projects and real life have a way of slowing down the important work I'm trying to do on guitars. Finally though, I'll be able to get back to the D-18. During the long break I pondered what the right order of the remaining steps should be. I finally decided that the proper order is to fix area 51 first, and then to glue the top braces back into place, and after that to install the bridge plate. It only makes sense. Fix the part that has the most issues first.


There will have to be a piece of spruce fabricated to fit into the lower bout where some is missing. Then the side split, which is missing a very narrow sliver of wood, will have to be filled with mahogony. Then a hole will have to be plugged with the original piece which I have. Once this piece is carefully fitted back into place, area 51 should be solid and ready to function again.

Then the top braces can be glued back down.

Lastly, the back will be re-gued to the rims.

See? It all makes sense now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.